As I have specific writing goals this year, I thought I’d do a monthly round-up of progress.
I’m relatively happy with progress this month – it’s going in the right direction, although there could have been a bit more production. I suspect I’m always going to feel this way until I download my consciousness into a writing robot.
I’m also not terribly good at focussing on just one project to the exclusion of all others, but I think that’s just something I’ll going to have live with. Trying to force myself to just do one thing will probably suck all the fun and energy out of my creativity. The important thing is that I’m working consistently and getting things finished.
Progress this month includes the following.
- I did a fair bit of planning, research and world building and wrote 4,539 words on City of Djinn. This rate obviously needs to drastically increase.
- I attended a writer’s group (and will continue to do so)
- I wrote a 1,000 word short story for a competition. My first new story in a looong time.
- I read blogs and books and learnt various things about the craft of writing, e.g. W-storyboarding
- I did some compiling, planning and rewriting of my travel story and a bit of tinkering with my WW1 novel. I’m not supposed to – I just can’t help myself sometimes.
In the pursuance of non-writing goals for 2012 I also: moved house; did some volunteering; ran a fair bit and played a lot of football; and, after 8 months of being unemployed, I have finally found some temping work which I am due to start tomorrow!